Vialectrum is an easy-to-use Viacoin client based on Electrum. It protects you from losing coins in a backup mistake or computer failure, because your wallet can be recovered from a secret phrase that you can write on paper or learn by heart. There is no waiting time when you start the client, because it does not download the Viacoin blockchain.
- Instant on: Your client does not download the blockchain, it uses a remote server.
- Forgiving: Your wallet can be recovered from a secret seed.
- Safe: Your seed or private keys are not sent to the server. Information received from the server is verified using SPV.
- No downtimes: Several public servers are available, you can switch instantly.
- Ubiquitous: You can use the same wallet on different computers, it will auto-synchronize.
- Cold Storage: You can have secure offline wallets and still safely spend from an online computer.
- Open: You can export your private keys to other Viacoin clients.
Windows Installer (checksums; signed by Vialectrum)
|Mac||Executable (checksums; signed by Vialectrum)|
sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip python-dev sudo pip install https://github.com/vialectrum/vialectrum/releases/download/v22.214.171.124/Vialectrum-126.96.36.199.tar.gz vialectrum
Vialectrum-188.8.131.52.zip (checksums; signed by Vialectrum)
- What is the Seed?
- Vialectrum uses a 128-bit random seed to generate your private keys. The seed can be represented as a 12-word mnemonic code. You do not need to perform regular backups, because your wallet can be recovered from the seed that you can memorize or write on paper.
- What is the gap limit?
- The gap limit is the maximum number of consecutive unused addresses in your deterministic sequence of addresses. Vialectrum uses a gap limit to stop looking for addresses, it is set to 5 by default, so the client get all addresses until 5 unused addresses are found.
- What does it mean to "freeze" an address?
- When you freeze an address, the funds in that address will not be used for sending viacoins. You cannot send viacoins if you don't have enough funds in non-frozen addresses.
- What to do with my old Viacoin addresses and wallet when switching to Vialectrum?
- The best way to switch to Vialectrum is to send all the viacoins you have on your old wallet to one of the addresses on your Vialectrum wallet. This way you'll have all your viacoins secured with your seed. You could import the private keys from your old client, but in that case you would have to backup those keys separately, as they won't become part of your Vialectrum seed.
- Where is my wallet file located?
- A default wallet file called default_wallet is created under the /wallets folder when you first run the application. On Windows, this folder is located in \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Vialectrum. On all other operating systems, it is located in ~/.vialectrum.